Property Enquiry


Click on a help item below to expand it.

Property details


This is a description of the property address including the lot, section number, and deposited plan numbers. The local government ward name/area is also shown.


These are the planning zones that apply to the land/property.

The zone(s) stipulate the permissible development use of the land as set out in the applicable local environmental plan. If your property has more than one zone, you can view the boundaries of the zones using the LEP Zone map layer (under maps.)


These are the development applications lodged on the property since 1982.


These are the State Environmental Planning Policies (SEPPs) that apply to the land. One or more of these may be applicable to development proposals on the land. Visit the NSW Department of Planning's website for detailed information on SEPPs.


A DCP is an integrated planning document that elaborates on a local environmental plan (LEP) and provides guidance and criteria on development.

Major & Minor Conditions

Major & minor conditions are other matters that relate to or apply to the property, for example, the property may fall within a mine subsidence area, geotechnical zone, acid sulphate soil area or bushfire prone area, to name a few.

Items in this section can also refer to previous reports prepared for past development applications.

If the property's conditions are different from the map data provided with this service or you would like further explanation, please call Council's Customer Service Centre on 02 4921 0333.

Property conditions

Acid Sulphate Soil Areas

The conditions of your property advise it is affected by acid sulphate soils.

Acid sulphate soils (ASS) are natural soils that form in seawater or brackish water environments. They are common in every estuary and estuarine floodplain in NSW. These soils contain iron sulphides that are stable and do not cause a problem when water-logged. However, when exposed to air, after drainage or excavation, the soils rapidly form sulphuric acid. This acid can leach into the surrounding area acidifying neighbouring drains, wetlands, creeks, estuaries and bays, causing severe environmental damage. It can affect industries such as fishing and tourism, and can impact on public and private infrastructure by causing serious damage to steel and concrete structures such as the foundations (footings) of a building.

Council has prepared a map showing the areas that may be affected by acid sulphate soils based on data supplied by the Department of Land and Water Conservation. There are five classes of land: Class 1 through to Class 5. Class 1 has the highest risk for ASS.

The Lake Macquarie Local Environmental Plan 2004 identifies each of the classes and criteria of ASS.

Bushfire Prone Land

The conditions of your property advise if it is bushfire prone land.

Bushfire prone land is identified by Council on a map, and is approved by the Commissioner of the NSW Rural Fire Service.

The maps have three bushfire zones: Vegetation Category 1 (orange), Vegetation Category 2 (yellow), and Vegetation Buffer (red).

Coastal Zone

The conditions of your property advise if it is in the coastal zone.

The coastal zone is defined by the Coastal Protection Act 1979 and is shown on statutory maps held by the Department of Planning. These are available for viewing on the NSW Department of Planning's website.

If your land falls within the coastal zone, State Environmental Planning Policy No.71 - Coastal Protection (SEPP 71) applies to your land. The aim of SEPP 71 is to ensure that development within the coastal zone is not only appropriate but also appropriately located and to ensure there is a consistent and strategic approach to coastal planning and management. SEPP 71 requires certain development applications in sensitive coastal locations to be referred to the Director-General of Planning for comment. It also requires master plans to be prepared for certain developments in the coastal zone and outlines additional matters the consent authority must take into consideration when determining a development application in the coastal zone.

Flood Prone Land

Some land in the City is classed as flood prone and is indicated by the "Flood Control Lot" condition.

Based on historical flood data and the results of completed flood studies and risk management studies/plans, flood affected land in the City is designated as being flood prone (Refer to Council's role in floodplain management, available at

Local flooding in urban areas may be minor or major system flooding. Minor system (or nuisance) flooding comprises relatively small-scale localised flooding. Major system flooding in urban catchments comprises larger-scale flooding with an annual recurrence interval (ARI) of 100+ years.

For designated flood prone land, the primary objective of Council is to reduce the impact of flooding and flood liability on individual owners and occupiers of flood prone property, and to reduce private and public losses resulting from floods, utilising ecologically sustainable methods.

Council manages flood prone land by commissioning flood studies and flood risk management studies/plans, by implementing management actions, and incorporating adopted flood risk solutions in planning instruments such as Local Environmental Plan and Development Control Plans.

To determine the full extent of flooding or tidal inundation on a specific property, you should obtain a Flood Certificate or Flood/Tidal Inundation Certificate from Council.

Flood maps are not available with this service. To find out if there is a flood study or risk management study/plan for your area, please refer to the floodplain risk management studies and plans document.

Geotechnical Zones

Geotechnical zones identify the slope, terrain, potential hazard, and development suitability of land applied in accordance with Council's geotechnical engineering policies.

The Geotechnical Zone Series 1991 maps are referred to as the 'T' maps.

The conditions of your property advise which geotechnical zone(s) apply to the land.

T6 zones indicate areas of the City that are not zoned.

Heritage Zones

Heritage issues can be complex and it is sometimes impossible to know in advance, that a heritage item affects your property and your proposed development. A thorough site analysis will generally identify any heritage related issues.

Council has mapped some items in its property system and is working towards mapping all known items.

You will find the definition of a heritage item and a list of some heritage items in the Lake Macquarie Local Environment Plan 2004. Other valuable information is available in the Lake Macquarie Heritage Guidelines 2004, and the City of Lake Macquarie Heritage Study 1993.

Mine Subsidence Areas

The conditions of your property advise if it is in a mine subsidence area.

Maps for mine subsidence are not available with this service.

Scenic Management Zones

The conditions of your property advise if it is in a scenic management zone.

The intent of the scenic management zones are to protect and maintain the scenic values of the City, whether being viewed from land or water by ensuring that development is designed to complement, rather than detract from the landscape, whether it is located in an urban, rural or environmental setting.

There are four zones:

  • Zone A - Is assigned to areas of the highest scenic quality. These are of critical value to the scenic image of the City and are the most vulnerable to loss through development.
  • Zone B - Is assigned to areas highly valued in the City for the maintenance of the scenic quality and identity of the various localities.
  • Zone C - Is assigned to areas of moderate to low scenic quality and where the landscape values, while not making a significant contribution to the City's image and attractiveness, do not detract significantly from the image or amenity.
  • Zone D - Is assigned to areas of low scenic quality where some rehabilitation of the existing landscape character and or amelioration of detrimental visual impacts would contribute to the enhancement of the locality.


Maintenance Activity

Occasionally maintenance activity is required to keep the information provided with this service up-to-date.

If you experience lengthy delays in accessing this website, please first check your internet settings or contact your internet provider. If you believe that there may be a technical difficulty with Council's server, please report the problem to Council's Customer Service Centre.

Personal Help

For further assistance, call Council's Customer Service Centre on 02 4921 0333.

Page last updated: 18 December 2019